What we know so far
In an official press release last week, DC comics revealed the first few pieces of information about “Dark Days,” the latest event to be announced for DC Comics. Taking place in two one-shot comics, titled Dark Days: The Forge and Dark Days: The Casting, it is set to be centered around “a mystery that traces all the way back to when [Scott Snyder] started on Batman.” It will be written by Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV and drawn by multiple artists, including Andy Kubert, Jim Lee, and John Romita Jr.
However, besides this little bit of information, DC has been relatively close lipped about this event. Meaning fans do not have much to go on to determine what exactly this event is about.
What we learned
Soon after “Dark Days” was announced, the various creators took to Twitter to promote the event while also answering a few questions about it. From this we are able to figure out more about the event than initially expected.
- This event will not be the revelation behind the “three jokers” story that was teased in DC Comics Rebirth.
Promise this about Dark Days and the event it leads to (w/brother Greg) – it is all fun, all summer blockbuster. heroes rocking the f out
— Scott Snyder (@Ssnyder1835) March 20, 2017
- The tone of the book is meant to resemble a fun “summer blockbuster” rather than something more brooding and serious. Specifically, Snyder stated that it will not be “grim-dark”, like many other events have been.
- Many fans have speculated that this event will take place in the future, somewhat like DC’s “Future’s End” event. When asked about this Snyder, simply responded “You have to read it and see.” Avoiding the question in this manner almost seems to give the question more credibility. However, this answer is still up for debate.
- The mystery that “Dark Days” is centered around will involve clues from Tom King’s current Batman run, Scott Snyder’s New 52 run, and even various unconfirmed earlier runs.
- Snyder has confirmed that this event is designed to set up his event with Greg Capullo, which is set to occur soon after “Dark Days”. His comments seem to indicate that “Dark Days” will explore the background of this mystery while the event with Capullo will actually expose the mystery in its entirety. This is somewhat based on conjecture, however Snyder does specifically refer to “Dark Days” as being a “prelude” in one of his tweets.
— Scott Snyder (@Ssnyder1835) March 23, 2017
While answering questions about “Dark Days,” Scott Snyder seemed to be unable to resist doing a bit of trolling. Here are some of Scott Snyder’s more humorous responses to questioning:
- When asked if Grail and the baby Darkseid are making an appearance
- “Batman carries Darkseid-baby in a bjorn throughout the story”
- When asked about the tone the event will take on
- “The original title was hopeful happy days with Superman but then Batman was like fuck that and here we are :/”
- When asked if the “Metal” title indicates that the “Justice League form a rock band and learn about friendship”
- “it leaked?”
We still don’t know much about what exactly “Dark Days” is or how it will affect the DC Universe. However, these little pieces of information allow us to at least form a somewhat better image. From here, the next big reveal is set to happen on April 2nd. On this day, Scott Snyder and others will be live streaming a special panel at Fan Expo Dallas where they will be sharing more about this event.
Is there anything we missed? Do you have any better theories we should look into? Connect with us on Twitter here and let us know.